For my mom’s birthday, the kids and I made some almond-flavored cupcakes with raspberry-flavored buttercream. My daughter suggested that we use shades of purple for both the cake and frosting. The cake was a vibrant purple, and I made the frosting a raspberry-lavender color by mixing a little pink and purple food coloring. Since the cupcakes were already so colorful, I wanted to keep it simple for the toppers. I chose to keep them all white. Each topper is a completely different design, but keeping them all the same color ties them together nicely. I could have left them alone and been very pleased, but I decided to use some edible silver shimmer dusted over each topper with a dry brush. It gave a very subtle sheen. I designed and sculpted each topper, but there are a varity of molds and stamps available that would yeild similar results. I made flowers, butterflies, pea pods and berries to keep with the garden theme.
If you’d like to make your own frosting, here’s a tasty and easy recipe from Cooking Classy. I substituted raspberry extract for the vanilla and added food coloring until I got the color I was after.
- 1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature (3 sticks)*
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 – 4 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (use clear if desired)
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, using the paddle or whisk attachment whip butter on medium high speed (if using whisk attachment whip on high speed) until nearly white and very fluffy, about 7 – 8 minutes, frequently scrapping down the sides of the bowl. Add in powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract and mix on low speed until blended, then increase speed to medium and beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 – 6 minutes, frequently scraping down the sides of the bowl. Immediately spread over cooled cake or cupcakes.
- Note: if you want an alternate flavor of frosting, coconut or almond extract would be a great substitute for the vanilla extract, just add it to taste.
- *I use half salted butter and half unsalted butter (3/4 cup of each)
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy