- 14″ cardboard cake round
- a cardboard paper towel tube
- hot glue
- double-sides tape or glue dots
- curling ribbon (won’t show in finished cake)
- small rubber bands
- about 70 diapers
- decorative ribbon (wide & narrow sizes)
- decorations (toys, buttons, embellishments, flowers, etc.)
- Hot glue the paper towel tube to the center of your cardboard cake base.
- Roll each diaper & secure with a rubber band placed less than half way down the rolled diaper.
- Place first layer of diapers around the paper towel tube at the base (takes 6 -7 diapers). Then secure them in place by tightly tying a piece of curling ribbon around them. Trim off any excess ribbon & remove the rubber bands. Repeat this process, beginning your next layer outside the first. Do the same with a 3rd layer.
- Now make your second tier by repeating step 3, but making only 2 layers. For the top tier, you’ll do only one layer.
- Wrap decorative ribbon around each tier, covering the curling ribbon. Secure the ribbon in place with double-sided tape or glue dots.
- Decorate with toys, embellishments, bows, or whatever your heart desires! Just be sure to cover the top to hide the paper towel tube. A small stuffed animal is a great diaper cake topper! (I used buttons, wooden animals, and ribbon. I got glued them to the ribbon…don’t glue anything to the diapers!)
Take a long strand of ribbon (3 feet or more) & make it into loops, gathering them at one end. Secure them with a rubber band. Do the same thing with a second ribbon for a fuller effect. Hot glue the topper to the top of the paper towel tube, being careful not to glue any of the diapers.